I was inspired by this post to make texture bases for my new models. In the past, I had merely painted the bases, but that looked uneven, and it was obvious which models had slotted bases. This post details how I made slotted bases for some of my Cadian Infantry Models that have slotted bases. I used the same technique on bases that don’t have slots.
The first step is to paint some P.V.A. Glue onto the base. I used the Citadel P.V.A. glue that came with my Citadel Hobby Starter Kit, but I imagine any white glue like Elmer’s glue would work too. I made sure to get glue in the slot position so that the sand will adhere and cover it up.
On some models, there is a lot of space in the slot, so I used some Liquid Green Stuff from the Citadel technical paint line first to fill in the gaps before applying the glue.
After the base was covered in glue, I literally dunked the base in sand and swished it around a bit. I used the tub of Citadel Sand that also came with my Citadel Hobby Starter Kit, but I imagine any other sand will do.
I swished the model around in the sand for about 30 seconds and then removed it. I tapped it against the side of the sand tub to remove some excess. I then used a paintbrush to remove the sand from anywhere it didn’t belong, like on the side of the base, or on the model’s feet.
If your model doesn’t use a slotted tab, it’s MUCH easier to do the base before you attach the model. I followed the same procedure and pressed the empty base onto the sand for about 30 seconds for the same effect.
Just the sand looks pretty good by itself. You can see how it has already hidden all evidence of the tab. I left it overnight to dry.
I did several models at once, and I highly recommend it doing many at a time. This way, it become something of a production line and you have all the parts out and ready to go.
I wanted to go for an urban, grey look on the bases. So I started with a base layer of Imperial Primer which is black. The sand is VERY thirsty for paint, so I recommend watering down the paint significantly This also helps it filter through the sand.
I followed that up with a watered down coat of Administratum Grey. Since the Grey was watered down you could still see traces of the black.
In the last step, I did a very light drybrush of White Scar over the top of the textured surface. Using the paint very sparingly is critical because it maintains the grey and black on the lower parts of the base.
I’d say the final product look pretty good. It looks light grey, but really there is a touch of white, a layer of grey, and bits of black still peeking through.
Finished texture bases on my Astra Militarum Infantry Models
I hope you enjoyed reading this and found it useful!